Monday, December 20, 2010

Marshmallow Tutorial


Since I've had more interest in these beauties than any other post I've done, I thought I'd give a bit of a how to.
4 envelopes of gelatin
3/4 cup of water
1 1/2 tsp of peppermint extract
3 cups of sugar
3/4 cup of water
1 1/4 cup of corn syrup
1/2 tsp of salt
icing sugar
chocolate for dipping
Combine the gelatin, water and extract in the bowl of your stand mixer, fitted with the whisk, and let bloom.
In a saucepan, combine sugar, water, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a boil and let it boil for 4-5 minutes or until a candy thermometer reads 235-240F.
Very carefully pour boiling sugar mixture into stand mixer bowl set on slow speed. I cover the mixer with a tea towel, to avoid splatter, and then turn it up to full speed. Let it mix for 8-10 minutes. The bowl will be full of marshmallow fluff (and if you ever need marshmallow fluff, you can stop right here).

Pour into two 9x9 square pans that have been sprayed with cooking spray, lined with parchment paper and sprayed again. This is very sticky stuff!
To make the swirly design, squeeze about nine drops of red food colouring randomly on top of each pan. Using a toothpick, swirl the colour into the marshmallow.
Stick on a high shelf, away from pokey fingers and allow to dry out for about 10 hours. I know, not exactly instant gratification.
Turn out onto a cutting board, dusted with icing sugar. I find a pizza cutter works well for cutting into squares. Roll in icing sugar to stop them from sticking. They can be stored this way in an airtight container for a few weeks, but believe me they won't last that long.

Dip in melted chocolate and allow to dry on parchment paper. They can be stored in an airtight container this way for a few days.
Excellent on their own, or floated in hot cocoa. Enjoy!

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kate,
    Excellent tutorial only I don't own a stand alone mixer... can it be done by hand mixer? I use a large measuring cup and the mixer sits on it quite well. Anyway, I may try this just to see. Take care...Ho HO Ho!
    Kindha

    ReplyDelete