Sunday, October 9, 2011

Harvest Bounty: Chocolate Zucchini Cake



We celebrated Thanksgiving today, an opportunity to spend time with those we see far less often than we'd like. After a mad day of prep work yesterday, I was soaking it all in.
Until that is, my oven died. A small flame on the heating element and it was done. Luckily for us the turkey already was.
So we warmed the side dishes in the microwave, ate until we popped and enjoyed a gorgeous autumn afternoon.
But the dark cloud remains over my head.
 I can't bake.
This is very unsettling. I have plans and a new doughnut cutter that is begging for a trial run.




So I'll trade kitchen for computer and write up posts for the yumminess I've been making lately.

Starting with a chocolate zucchini cake.

My lovely friend Marnie gifted us with an enormous zucchini after a recent playdate.

 I immediately thought of the chocolate zucchini cake my mom used to make. Sprinkled with chocolate chips, it was moist and very un-vegetable like.

After some searching I found this recipe and added my own glaze. The espresso adds a great depth of flavour to an already fantastic chocolate cake. It was especially good slightly warm with a glass of milk. Jack completely agreed and he had no idea that the vegetable he played strong man with had found it's way inside.




Chocolate Espresso Glaze

1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups icing sugar
1 tsp instant espresso
6 tbsp milk

Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl. Whisk in the milk until smooth. Pour over the top of the cake.

Enjoy!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment